John Gruber’s feeling grumpy on the 10th anniversary of the iPad, but we’re here to revel in geek iPad fandom and—despite any lingering limitations—reflect on the importance and success of the iPad product category and muse on where the iPadOS software can go from here. Past, present, and future…all coming together here in this latest episode of The Jared White Show.
Links & Show Notes
- Support the show on Patreon!
- Send me your listener questions via Buy Me a Coffee!
- Subscribe to the Mark Up This! newsletter
Happy Birthday iPad!
- My thoughts last year about the iPad: Episode 22: A Tale of Two Millennials (jump ahead to17:50)
- Rene Ritche: Secret History of iPad (YouTube)
- iPad at 10 (512 Pixels)
- The iPad’s original software designer and program lead look back on the device’s first 10 years
- Video showing off prototype BeIA devices
- Vintage images of the Be, Inc. Tablet Computer)
- The 10th Anniversary of the iPad: A Perspective from the Windows Team
- Video of Slate PCs from Microsoft (LOL)
- Booooooo! John Gruber’s bizarre and factually incorrect take on the iPad over at Daring Fireball…
- …Gruber’s later correction…of sorts…
iPadOS 14 Wishlist
- Unix terminal and background processes
- Safari web inspector
- Better mouse & external display support
- Picture-in-Picture-style apps / content
- Three-finger tap gesture taking over more context menu tasks, possibly removing the floating text menu (maybe an option?)
- More pro apps like Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro